View full CV
“He's fantastic - hard-working, incredibly intelligent, and a great team player with excellent judgement. He's never been known to put in a bad performance. He's a thoroughly nice human being." (Chambers & Partners 2020 – Chancery: Commercial)
"He's very charming, which can be dangerous for the opposition." "He doesn't lose the judge, even with a mountain of detail, as he picks and selects the right points that demonstrate where the merits of a case lie." (Chambers & Partners 2020 – Fraud: Civil)
"Very clever and brilliant on paper - his written work is top-notch." "He has an outstandingly forensic mind and is academically one of the best lawyers out there." (Chambers & Partners 2020 – Banking & Finance)
Described by Chambers and Partners in 2015 as “rapidly becoming one of the leading commercial silks of his generation”, Tony de Garr Robinson QC is regularly instructed in the largest and most complex commercial disputes. Noted for his grasp of the details of even the most technically difficult cases and for his skill in cross-examination, he combines intellectual rigour and creativity with a friendly, down-to-earth and practical manner that sets clients at their ease – as the feedback from independently researched legal directories makes clear.
Experienced in all forms of commercial litigation, international arbitration and advisory work, both domestic and international, Tony has been ranked by Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500 for over 25 years.
This leading position is reflected in a track record that includes many high profile cases in the areas of company and partnership, banking and finance, commercial chancery, fraud and other areas of commercial litigation and arbitration. Several of these have been singled out as ‘cases of the year’ by major guides. Numerous examples can be found by following the links below, but recent cases include:
- The Post Office Group Litigation (2018 and 2019): acted for the Post Office in the high-profile claim by 561 sub-postmasters that the Post Office’s electronic accounting system created false losses in branch accounts. Said to be worth c.£120m, the claim was for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, negligent misstatement, deceit, economic duress, harassment and malicious prosecution. This was one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases for 2018. See https://www.ft.com/content/f420f2f8-75fa-11e7-a3e8-60495fe6ca71.
- Bluewaters Communications v Bayerische Landesbank, Bernard Ecclestone and another (2018): instructed by Bernie Ecclestone in a £500m-plus bribery claim alleging conspiracy and unlawful interference in relation to the 2006 takeover of the Formula One Group. This was another of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases for 2018. See https://www.lawyer-monthly.com/2018/03/ecclestone-formula-one-bribery-case-goes-to-trial/.
- Re Edwardian Group Limited  EWHC 1715 (Ch): represented the majority shareholders in an unfair prejudice petition relating to a £1bn hotel group. The case raised important issues concerning the unfair prejudice jurisdiction. After a 7 week trial, the claim against Tony’s clients was dismissed.
- The Libyan Investment Authority v Société Générale (2017): acted for Société Générale in a claim that the LIA was induced to buy over £2 billion in structured investment products by bribery of senior officials in the Gaddafi regime. This was one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases for 2017. See https://www.ft.com/content/7dc88450-3094-11e7-9555-23ef563ecf9a.
- Palmerston Hotels and Resorts v Brocket Hall (UK) Limited  EWHC 2018 (Comm): assisted the owner of a well-known golf club and luxury resort in an LCIA arbitration regarding the termination of a 35-year management contract and in an application for an injunction to restrain termination of the contract pending the appointment of arbitrators. See https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lording-it-over-the-manor-judge-steps-in-to-settle-golf-row-szc7h3j2r.
- Novatrust Ltd v Kea Investments Ltd (2016): – acted for the claimant in an appeal from a decision dismissing its claims regarding a £130m joint venture on jurisdictional grounds ( EWHC 4061 (Ch)). Among other things, the appeal raised fundamental questions regarding the nature of derivative proceedings, as well as the jurisdiction of the English court to grant declarations and to authorize a shareholder to bring proceedings on behalf of a BVI company.
What the market says:
Over the course of his career, Tony has attracted many comments from clients, instructing solicitors and opponents. Here are a few more recent examples:
- "Extremely responsive and someone who offers the most practical legal advice." (Chambers & Partners 2020 – Company)
- "Tony has shown great skill in getting to grips with complex accounting issues, and he's a good team player." (Chambers & Partners 2020 – Commercial Dispute Resolution)
- "Extremely rigorous in his approach to analysing the law and the evidence, and a persuasive advocate" (Legal 500 2020 - Banking & Finance)
- "He is a true expert in company law disputes. He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the law and great judgement." (Legal 500 2020 - Company & Partnership)
- "When you go into court, you know that he will have thought through every angle and will be as prepared as one can possibly be – phenomenally clever, but down to earth and a great a team player." (Legal 500 2020 - Civil Fraud)
- "Outstanding – a leading advocate in the area of banking litigation." (Legal 500 2019 – Banking & Finance)
- "The advocate I would most like to have in the trenches next to me on the most demanding matters." (Legal 500 2019 – Civil Fraud)
- "His legal expertise, eloquence and diligence stand out, and the quality of his work is simply superb." "Has a keen eye for detail, and is great at finding the pressure points." “... He is an excellent litigator who takes a cerebral approach to legal problems. Works incredibly hard, and because he does a wide range of work he's really good at taking concepts from one area and applying them to others. He's just a superb litigator, and charming with it." (Chambers and Partners 2018 - Commercial Dispute Resolution)
- "An outstanding advocate; incredibly intelligent, extremely hardworking and has fantastic judgment." (Legal 500 2018 – Banking & Finance)
- “A great all-rounder, he has fabulous amounts of energy and a willingness to get immersed in the detail.” (Legal 500 2018 – Civil Fraud)