“One Essex Court was my first choice for three main reasons. First, because of its reputation as a pre-eminent Commercial set. Second, because of the very friendly, collegial, relaxed atmosphere which I had experienced during my mini-pupillage and during all other interactions with members of Chambers. Third, because of the prospect of a more pleasant pupillage year, with no formal assessments and a very high retention rate.” - ROBERT HARRIS, JUNIOR TENANT
One Essex Court is set apart by its excellent reputation and work opportunities, its focus on providing the best training for its pupils, and its open, relaxed and informal culture.
- Pupils work from the very beginning of pupillage on high profile, stimulating and exciting cases.
- Pupils work with some of the best advocates at the Commercial Bar. As well as sitting with three different supervisors, pupils work with a variety of other members of Chambers, from senior silks to junior juniors.
- The focus of pupillage is on excellent training, not competition. Pupils work on live cases, making a true contribution alongside their training.
- We are committed to taking on as tenants all of our pupils who meet the standard. Over the past five years, more than 90% of our pupils have been offered tenancies.
- The informal and friendly culture at One Essex Court creates a healthy working environment. The One Essex Court community is made up of members of all ages, backgrounds and interests, working independently but supporting each other. Pupils are welcomed into the Chambers’ community from day one.
- One Essex Court pupils receive amongst the most generous pupillage awards at the Bar, and can expect to earn very substantial amounts from their earliest days in tenancy.
- One Essex Court is committed to equality and diversity. All members of Chambers are treated equally no matter their background and we are committed to becoming more diverse.
- One Essex Court has one of the most highly regarded clerks’ rooms at the Bar. Our clerks are focused on getting the best and most varied work for our members, ensuring all members have equal opportunities, and supporting members to work in a way that works for them.
How to pick a set of Chambers by KV Krishnaprasad