View full CV
Saul Lemer undertakes a broad range of commercial disputes including both litigation and arbitration. Saul’s practice includes both un-led work, often against silks, as well as work as a senior junior in larger teams.
In litigation, Saul currently acts (with Daniel Toledano QC) for Diageo in c. US$140 million Commercial Court proceedings against Vijay Mallya and others and (un-led) for the defendants in a multi-million pound fraud claim listed for a three week High Court trial in June 2021. In arbitration, Saul is involved (with Charles Graham QC) in LCIA proceedings acting for the claimant in a claim for breach of an investment agreement in relation to an investment in a CIS state.
Saul’s notable cases include:
- Surkis and Ors v Poroshenko and Gontareva  – Saul acts for Igor Surkis and six English LLPs in a c.US$250 million claim against the former President of Ukraine, Petro Poroshenko, and the former Governor of the National Bank of Ukraine, Valeria Gontareva.
- European Real Estate Debt Fund (Cayman) Ltd v Treon  (Comm) – Saul acts for the Second and Third Defendant against whom the Claimant seeks c £15 million for alleged fraudulent misrepresentations in connection with the sale of certain Loan Notes.
- Diageo v Mallya  EWHC 2067 (Comm) – Saul acts for Diageo in a c. US$150 million claim against Vijay Mallya and connected parties.
- Tsareva v Ananyev; Galagaev v Ananyev  EWHC 2114 – Saul acted for the First Defendant in relation to a c. US$100 million claim for alleged fraudulent misrepresentation in connection with the sale of Loan Notes in Russia.
- LICT v VTBC  EWHC 1891 (Comm);  EWHC 169 (Comm);  EWHC 1747 (Comm) – Saul acts for the Second and Fourth Defendants in a c €100 million claim relating to the enforcement of a pledge over shares in a Bulgarian telecommunications business.
- Romanello Financial Corp v Lars Windhorst  (Comm) – Saul acted for the claimants seeking to recover c. €60 million invested in shares and bonds on terms that the shares and bonds would be repurchased on a specific date.
- Chesterfield United Inc v Deutsche Bank AG  (Ch) – Saul acted for Deutsche Bank in c. €500 million litigation arising out of the sale of credit linked notes.
- Greenclose Ltd v National Westminster Bank Plc  2 Lloyds Rep 169 – Saul acted in a claim relating to the notice provisions under a contract governed by an ISDA Master Agreement.
- Avrahami v Biran & Ors  EWHC 1776 (Ch) – Saul acted for the defendant in a claim relating to fraudulent misrepresentation, breaches of fiduciary duty and damages (Saul cross-examined 19 claimant witnesses).