View full CV
Veena has a broad practice covering all areas of Chambers’ work. She is regularly instructed in complex and high-value disputes and has experience of working on a range of commercial disputes including in arbitration, banking, jurisdiction challenges, civil fraud, energy and commercial litigation. Veena has worked in counsel teams of various sizes. As sole counsel, Veena regularly appears in the High Court, as well as conducting hearings in the County Court.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Veena was seconded to the Dispute Resolution team at Slaughter and May where she assisted with a SIAC arbitration over a SPA dispute worth US$5.5bn, and the High Court claim brought by Diageo against Vijay Mallya & ors. Veena was also previously a tutor at Downing College (Cambridge) in Administrative Law, and worked on law reform project in the Law Commission.
Veena’s recent and notable instructions include:
- ICC Proceedings: Acting (with Alex Gunning QC and others) for a Dutch infrastructure investment company in a dispute with its joint venture partner in relation to the building of a deep water grain terminal on the Russian Black Sea coast.
- Various Claimants v Gulf Bank: Acting (with Sonia Tolaney QC and Sandy Phipps) for a Gulf financial institution in Queen’s Bench Division proceedings alleging involvement in terrorist financing in Syria.
- Municipio de Mariana & ors v BHP Group Plc and BHP Group Ltd (with Charles Gibson QC, Daniel Toledano QC, Shaheed Fatima QC and others) for BHP in the group action brought by over 200,000 claimants against BHP Group Plc and BHP Group Ltd:  EWHC 2471 (TCC);  EWHC 928 (TCC).
- Greengate SARL v Atlas Residential Solutions Management UK (2020) (ChD) – Successfully acted for Greengate (as sole counsel) in the hearing of Greengate’s Part 8 claim against Atlas. The hearing was conducted remotely before Master Teverson during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Atlas Residential Solutions Management UK v Greengate SARL  EWHC 366 (Comm) – Appeared (with Hannah Brown QC) for Greengate in the expedited trial on the validity of Greengate’s termination of two Agreements with Atlas. Veena appeared unled in the consequentials hearing before Teare J.
- Evison Holdings Ltd v International Co Finvision Holdings and Orient Express PJSC  EWHC 3057 (Comm) – Appeared (with Hannah Brown QC and Sandy Phipps) for the Russian Bank Orient Express resisting the continuation of an anti-suit injunction in respect of proceedings in the Arbitrazh Court in Russia.