View full CV
Alex Polley has extensive experience of complex and high value multi-party, multi-jurisdictional commercial litigation and international arbitration. Recent cases have included Holyoake v Candy (fiercely contested proceedings arising out of alleged intimidation and duress in relation to a loan), PCP v Barclays (alleged deceit in relation to capital raising by a bank), and a substantial ICC arbitration concerning alleged deceit and breach of warranty in an SPA, which involved a two month evidentiary hearing. Alex conducted part of the advocacy in each case. He also appeared recently in A v B and the FRC, concerning the handling of privilege claims by an advisor in the context of a regulatory investigation.
Alex is recommended by both Chambers UK and Global as a leading junior (Commercial Dispute Resolution), by Chambers UK (Banking & Finance, Civil Fraud and Professional Negligence), and by The Legal 500 (Commercial Litigation, Civil Fraud, Banking & Finance and Professional Negligence). In 2018 he was nominated by Chambers & Partners for the Junior of the Year award in Commercial Litigation.
Alex was also identified in Legal Week’s ‘Stars at the Bar’ 2012, which noted his “interpersonal skills and clear professional acumen”. Interviewees commented that he is “an invaluable member of every team he’s on” and “his written work is absolutely first rate, [articulating] even the most complex of arguments in a style that is both pithy and persuasive”.
Directory comments include:
- “he has excellent judgement, and is a superb draftsman and advocate” (Legal 500 2017, Commercial Litigation)
- “ferociously intelligent and a real problem solver; he is stimulated by the more difficult parts of a case” (Chambers & Partners 2018, Banking & Finance)
- “prodigiously clever and a star – has impeccable judgement that extends well beyond his call date” (Legal 500 2019, Banking & Finance)
- “an absolutely brilliant technical lawyer with a really nice, easy attitude. He is happy to give as much time of his time as required to explain a point, and welcomes challenge and debate” (Chambers & Partners 2019, Professional Negligence)
- “incredibly bright, quick on his feet and really user friendly” (Legal 500 2020, Civil Fraud)
- “extremely bright and very easy to work with." "He is absolutely brilliant and has a remarkable ability to digest information and respond quickly, working out solutions almost instantly” (Chambers & Partners 2020, Banking & Finance)
- “responsive and a pleasure to deal with. First rate in drafting and in oral submissions” (Chambers & Partners 2020, Professional Negligence)
- “his advocacy is excellent and his written style is superbly clear and crisp." "He's very good with clients and is intellectually forensic” (Chambers & Partners 2020, Civil Fraud)
- Very good, really thorough, extremely fast in his turnaround of work and just really clever” (Chambers & Partners 2021, Commercial Dispute Resolution)
- “very intelligent and incredibly quick” (Legal 500 2021, Commercial Litigation)
- “A standout barrister at his level. The speed with which he turns around questions is incredible. He gets through a massive workload while keeping the quality level high." "A very excellent junior. Always in demand and very responsive” (Chambers & Partners 2021, Banking & Finance)
- “incredibly hard working and responsive – a first rate junior counsel” (Legal 500 2021, Banking & Finance)
- “He is impressive, very clever and sensible." "His written work is very thorough and he works incredibly hard” (Chambers & Partners 2021, Civil Fraud)
- “remarkable appetite for work, attention to detail, and confidence, and all wrapped up in a super-bright personality, a pleasure to work with” (Legal 500 2021, Civil Fraud)
- “enormously rigorous, writes succinctly and attractively, and has a depth of knowledge of the law as to professional negligence (in particular in regard to auditing) and the practical experience necessary to apply it” (Legal 500 2021, Professional Negligence)
- “Very sharp and insightful and very clever; he spotted all the weak points in my argument quickly and we thought he was a particularly able junior." "An incredibly bright and assured advocate” (Chambers & Partners 2021, Professional Negligence)
He has a good working knowledge of French.