One Essex Court featured in 8 of The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of 2021
One Essex Court is delighted that 30 members of chambers are involved across 8 of the cases featured in The Lawyer’s recently published Top 20 Cases of 2021.
A summary of those cases are, as follows:
- Merricks v Mastercard - a collective proceedings order hearing before the Competition Appeal Tribunal in February, which follows the recent Supreme Court hearing in this long-running claim for c. £14bn in damages.
- Skatteforvaltningen (the Danish Customs and Tax Administration) v Solo Capital Partners LLP (in Special Administration) & Ors - a 6-day Commercial Court trial in March and a 6-week trial in October. Large-scale litigation featuring almost 100 defendants and relating to an alleged £1.5bn fraud.
- Roman Pipia v BGEO Group Limited – an 8-week Commercial Court trial in April. The $290m dispute between the British holding company of Georgia’s largest bank and the owner of Dinamo Tbilisi Football Club arises out of a disagreement over the sale of a company, Rustavi Azot, previously owned by the claimant.
- ECU Group v HSBC – an 8-week Commercial Court trial in June, where HSBC will be defending itself against claims of FX market manipulation.
- Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation Limited v Serious Fraud Office, Dechert and Neil Gerrard - an 8-week Commercial Court trial in June relating to the handling of the SFO’s investigation into ENRC in 2011.
- SCOR v Barclays Bank - a 7-day Commercial Court trial in June arising out of a dispute over an aborted M&A deal.
- Castle Water v Thames Water - a 7-week Technology & Construction Court trial in October arising out of a claim brought by Castle Water over alleged over-billing of customers and data errors.
- Mercuria Energy Trading Pte Ltd v Deutsche Bank AG - a 6-day Commercial Court trial in December relating to an alleged fraud that occurred at a Chinese metal warehouse.
The full article can be viewed here.